Home about faq sponsor contact everyday baby home

Friday, November 14, 2014

My labor lifelines. What I REALLY needed...





I over prepared for my labor//birth. I thought that I knew something. I really thought that since I had done it before I would know what to expect, what I would need, and how it was all going to happen.

I was wrong. Very wrong.

Now you get to learn from my mistakes! I will be sharing my entire birth story next week but until then I wanted to share with you the things thatI needed during his birth... my lifelines.

.My husband
I knew that I was going to need him but I had no clue how much I was going to need him this time. Like my last birth I had back labor and a posterior baby. 
(Translation=really long//painful birth)
His energy, support, and presence really got me through it all. Having him near me touching me, reassuring me, and lovingly supporting was soooo necessary. He's an amazing birth partner. He massaged me the whole time, encouraged me, and at the end of it all delivered my son to me. It was amazing.


.My birth ball
Dear inventor of the exercise ball, 
what made you decided to invent such a beautiful thing? Did you sit on a balloon one day, it didn't pop, and then you just had the amazing idea to super-size it? Did you know that it would be used in thousand and thousands of childbirths or did you think it would only be found in gyms? Whatever the case may be..thank you. I mean that.

Uhmmm...where to begin. To say that oils helped me during my labor would be an understatement. Not only did they help me but there were oils that I used for specific things that were AMAZING and I think that it's only fair that I outline them.

Clary Sage-I rubbed this on my tummy once labor got started. I have a new love for this oil. Clary Sage relaxes the uterine muscles and helps them prepare for childbirth and made contractions more efficient. This was beneficial in my case because of the babies position.

Lavender//Peace and Calming//ylang ylang- This is one of my favorite scents to diffuse. Its so relaxing and soothing. I actually kept that going throughout the house even after the baby was born. It kept everything calm and serene. Love it.

Panaway-Nate would use this to massage my back along with V-6 and it was uh-mazing! Remember how I mentioned I was in back labor. Yea. This helped. 

Orange//Peppermint-Nate diffused this in the bathroom at hour 20...Yea it was a long labor and I was starting to get tired. This blend gave me a nice energy boost and kept me going. I still love to diffuse this in the morning when we get up! It's so energizing!

Frankincense-Yes. Like the oil that they brought to baby Jesus (if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me)! Great to use on the perineum to prevent//heal tearing.


.Honey
I was so exhausted and before it was time to push my awesome midwife brought me in a tablespoon of honey and it really gave me the energy that I needed to push out our little guy.

.A focal point
A had my labor candle from my Blessingway (more on that to come) lit and near me. It was a huge focal point for me and I really drew a lot of energy from that. Just knowing that there were other women from my community thinking//praying for me was powerful.


Thats about it folks....I didn't use any of the "Labor-aide" that I had made in the fridge, I didn't want to listen to the thousand "labor playlists" that I had created, I didn't need any of the herbal tinctures that I made, and I didn't need any of the snacks that I shopped for. Doesn't mean that you won't because every labor is different. I just didn't need what I thought that I needed...


Labor is trying.
Labor is hard.
Labor is beautiful.
Labor is a bitch.
Labor sucks.
Labor is amazing.

Labor is all of these things wrapped up into hours and minutes of your life only to be left with this...

Joy.
Gratitude.
Life.
Love.
Bliss.
Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment