Home about faq sponsor contact everyday baby home

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DIY Garlic Tincture


So flu season is just around the corner and anyone that knows me knows that I like preventive. Why? Well..I don't like the idea of antibiotics, etc. So for me, the best thing to do is keep healthy so I (or my family) never get to that point. Elixirs, tinctures and homeopathics is something that I have become very interested in! I can't wait to share with you one of my favorite preventative measures-garlic.

Why garlic? Garlic has a crap ton of antiviral//antibacterial properties. Some even call it "natures penicillin"! When made into a tincture it can be used orally (without the risk of stinky breath) and topically. For topical uses garlic has been known to treat athletes feet, fungal infections and tons of other things.

(as I'm typing this the garlic smell is radiating from my hands, ha!)

You will need the following:


-Garlic (like 2 bulbs...thankfully I have been getting tons in my veggie coop pick-up)
-Vodka
-A mason jar or sealable glass container
-A tincture (with dropper top)



The directions are pretty simple..

To extract the medicinal properties of the garlic place the chopped garlic in a glass jar. Put twice the amount of vodka as garlic into the jar. For example, if you used 1 cup of garlic put in 2 cups of vodka.

Screw the lid on the jar tightly and shake it. Allow the garlic tincture to rest in the jar for 2 weeks. Shake the tincture daily. It's helpful to label the jar, "garlic tincture" and add the date of preparation, so you know when the 2 weeks has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment